Most people think that if you really want to get great service and keep your new car warranty then you need to take your car back to the dealership. This is certainly not the case. While dealerships might be specially trained to deal with the make and model of your vehicle, in most cases there are at least a few automotive workshops close to your home that offer the same level of service and quality, but for a much lower price. At AME Automotive, we are the number one choice for a car service in Canning Vale and surrounds. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of using a dealership for your car service as well as the benefits of choosing a local mechanic so you can make be best choice for your vehicle.
Pros of Using a Dealership
- Dealerships generally deal with only one specific brand of car do they will be the experts in the make and model of your car.
- They have access to the electronic scan tools specific to the make of your vehicle.
- They should be able to provide a loan car available if needed, however depending on how busy your dealership is, you might have to wait a few weeks before one actually becomes available.
Cons of Using a Dealership
- Usually more expensive as they are larger and have more overhead costs.
- Even a basic service can take a whole day. Normally you will need to drop your car off at 8am and pick it up at 5pm which means a whole day with your car off the road.
- Dealerships are notorious for upsells. For example, additive companies provide the service advisers commissions for selling you flushes you don’t need.
- Most dealerships will have transport, but they’re limited to times and destinations.
- You will likely never talk to the mechanic who actually services your car. All of your dealings will be with a receptionist and service adviser, so all information relayed is second hand.
Will My Warranty Be Void if I Go to a Local Mechanic?
Dealerships like you to believe that your car must be returned to them for servicing in order to keep your warranty intact. However, this is not true at all, as long as a licensed repairer services your car according to your car’s logbook, your warranty will not be impacted.
What if I Was Offered ‘Fixed-price’ or ‘Free’ servicing from the Dealership When I Bought My Car?
While you may think this will save you money, dealerships need to make money from your ‘fixed’ or ‘free’ service packages so often standard items such as batteries, tyres, wheel alignments and other repairs aren’t included. They may also go above and beyond to upsell unnecessary additions, making you pay for products or services you don’t actually need.
The Advantages of Using a Local Mechanic for a Car Service
- Affordability – Local workshops are usually smaller and have less overhead costs than dealerships. This can mean significantly lower prices for customers. Independent local garages can get original manufacturer parts for repairs and servicing, but they can also offer less expensive, alternative parts, or even rebuilt parts, that perform the same function at a fraction of the price.
- Personalised Service – It can be easier to build a personal relationship with a local automotive workshop, since you speak directly with the mechanics. Local workshops work hard to build relationships with their customers to ensure you return to them for future servicing and repairs.
- Location – independent workshops are often more conveniently located than dealerships. There may be a few automotive workshops close to your home which makes it easier to drop your car off and get home, especially if you need to leave your car for repairs.
If you are looking for the best local mechanic for a car service in Canning Vale or surrounding suburbs, the team at AME Automotive are Perth’s trusted family operated automotive business with over 30 years’ experience providing high quality car servicing combined with exceptional customer service to Perth locals. Get in touch with us today on (08) 9455 3225 to book in your car or contact us online now.